Friday, July 29, 2011

Artisan Clay Design Team Reveal Day!




Today is the last Friday of the month, which means it's the Artisan Clay Design Team reveal day! (Please check Kristie's blog for the other participants - I too cannot figure out that in link thingy). As usual, I waited until the last minute to make my piece. It wasn't all my fault - the first piece Kristie sent me got lost in the mail so she had to send me another one. I chose this gorgeous turquoise/green/cobalt piece - it's one of her made-to-order items made with recycled glass. I was a little stumped at first - I know it had to be the focal, with very little to take away from it. I wanted to make a bail out of seed beads, but I just didn't have the right color mix. So I took my 18 gauge copper wire and made my own. I'm pretty proud of it, I must say! I made the toggle as well. I am just getting into wirework so it may take a bit of time to perfect my skills, but I'm happy with the results. I (finally) used some of my own lampwork beads in the piece, and paired them with some pretty filigree bead caps. They are joined by shiny copper jump rings.

I originally was going to finish it with two rows of seed beads at the top, but again, didn't really have the right mix. I was looking around my beadroom and voila! I saw this pretty ribbon that I received from someone as a gift (some generous person on etsy) with purchase. I haven't used ribbon in any of my designs before, but remembered seeing others who did, and what their connections looked like and tried it myself! I'm happy!

Thanks Kristie for a great piece to work with! Visit her store to see more of her work!

8 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

Yea! This is a beautiful color palette. And I love the ribbon. You can add so much with fibers like this. Good to know that I am not the only one who hoards things like this!
Enjoy the day, Miss Sue!
Erin

Marcie Abney said...

Turned it into a toggle? Just genius!

For My Sweet Daughter said...

Very creative to make it a toggle!

Carol Dean said...

What a wonderful mix of colors, materials, and textures. And I'm with Marcie on this one: the toggle idea is brilliant!

randomcreative said...

Beautiful piece! I love that you used so many of your own components, and I love the mix of blues and greens.

Therese's Treasures said...

I really like your piece your lamp work beads match the colors in the donut perfectly and the ribbion you used completes the design.
Therese

artybecca said...

pretty!

Jen V. said...

You did go different with the ribbon! I love the toggle idea.
Take care!
Jen

September Component of the Month - Zombee with Laney Mead

This month it was Laney's turn to provide the Component of the Month, and she made these cute little Zombees!  I did not take a photo ...