Skip to main content

Button Button




I made buttons yesterday - to be specific, small shank buttons. Whenever I try something new, for some reason, I am thinking small and that's how they come out! I think it's because the creative process is somewhat hard for me at times - to go outside the safety of what I usually do, and do something different. I think they are probably too small to actually use on a bracelet, I'm not sure. That's why I am showing you and asking your advice! They measure approximately 12mm. Maybe they aren't too small? I think the shank part is too thick, and I think the button part needs to be larger, to be able to be caught by whatever you would loop it with. Most likely it would be strung seed beads, I guess, or maybe silk cord or leather or something like that. And who knows why the first photo turned out and the second one is somewhat blurry - and why I can't seem to edit my photos unless the engineer is standing right next to me...

Some are made on a 1/16" mandrel, which would be great for beading wire, and some are made on a 3/32" mandrel, which would work for leather or cord. Does anyone have an opinon on them? This is NOT a quality question!!!!!! It's the first time I made them, so I know they aren't that great! Rather, a comment about the size, the mandrel size, the shank size, etc.? I would really appreciate any constructive comments you could provide!

Comments

Lorelei Eurto said…
hi Sue!

Yes, I think they are a bit too small - I'm picturing them on the end of the bracelet with a seed beaded loop, and I think there isn't enough button part to keep the loop attached.
But the shank part looks really good.
I would just do the button part a bit bigger.
SummersStudio said…
Sue, I'm actually seeing them as an embellishment on a hat, fabric cuff, or something like that. Probably the button part is a little small to work like a button. But I think there are other ways they could be used. They are beautiful BTW.
SueBeads said…
Thank you LeAnn - you are right. I only had in my head that there were going to be used for jewelry, but they can be used as many things! Thanks for opening my eyes!
SummersStudio said…
Hey Sue, that's why this blogging and sharing stuff is so great. You get to see new perspectives and then take it away and do something you never would have thought of. Inspiration. I get it from all of you all the time!

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Soup Blog Party!

Welcome to the 3rd Bead Soup Blog Party! What is a Bead Soup Blog Party? Each beader was paired up with another jewelry designer and tasked with sending the following: ~ A focal ~ A special clasp (not just a lobster claw) ~ Some coordinating spacers or beads Using the focal and the clasp was mandatory, but we could use anything from our own stash to round out the rest, and choose to use the coordinating beads or not. You may recall my partner was Margot Potter ; click this link to see the blog post I wrote of what she sent me! Here's what I made! Dangly earrings! Come see what the rest of us made! 1. Lori Anderson, Pretty Things 2. Kitty Durmaj, Perles and Life 3. Michelle Heim, Life In the Bead Lane 4. Lisa Petrillo, Lucid Moon Studio 5. Anitra Gordy, Leelu Creations 6. Paige Maxim, Paige Maxim Designs 7. Marianna Boylan, Pretty Shiny Things 8. Cheryl Roe, BeadRoe 9. Heidi Post, Ex Post Facto 10. Cindy Wimmer, Sweet Bead Studio 11. Terri Gauthier, Blooming Ideas 12.

The Tacky Earring Blog Hop

Diana Ptaszynski had a great idea, instead of a Tacky Christmas Sweater blog hop, a Tacky Holiday Earring blog hop! I was on it.  I had ideas right away.  I had so many I had to control myself.  You can buy these for $15 each, too!  Here we go! I found these awesome wreaths in the miniature Christmas section in Michaels, and they go perfectly with silver and copper colored plastic beads! These trees were found in Michaels, on an end-cap - I assume they are scrapbook or card making supplies, but make fantastic earrings.  The holes were a little small and far down, so I had to make LARGE loops.  Paired these with cute little gold colored jingle bells! And, finally, the ones I had in my head the moment she announced the blog hop.  Dr. Seuss sparkly puff balls with ribbons.  The only thing that would have made these better for me is if I could have found the red ribbons I really wanted to pair these with - don't get me wrong, the silver is cool and all, but in my head they w