Tuesday, January 5, 2010

L E A R N I N G

L E A R N I N G - My word for the year - thanks to Erin of Treasures Found for prompting us to look for a word that's going to urge us on this year! I chose learning for many reasons. I don't know if you all know, I have a Master's Degree in Human Resources Management. I quickly found out that I do not do well in the corporate world. Politics and competition are not my style; I found I just could not be healthy in that environment. That's ok, too - I'm glad I found it out. I did have a Ph.D. I worked for tell me that I would never be truly happy unless I got a Ph.D. myself - I believe that to be true. However, at this point, that's never going to happen! Not only do I not have any desire at this point to start school all over again, I can't begin to figure out what I want to do when I grow up!

Hence, learning. I have many things I want to learn about - Shinto, Hadrian's Wall, Constellations. But also things like, what type of person am I, how can I be a better partner, mother, family member and friend? How can I get off my behind and get all the beady ideas I have in my head into something productive? And there's several of those - I always seem to be behind the eight ball with my ideas - I make something and then I see someone already selling it!

I'll share some of my findings this year with you! I think I'll start with something easy, like investigating Hadrian's Wall. Also, I know I want to take a PMC class. I'm hoping to go to Toulouse this winter with the engineer, and I'll try and learn all about that all over again (I was in Toulouse for a summer at the Dickinson College Study Center).

7 comments:

SummersStudio said...

Sue, learning is such a great word for the year. In fact, I think that one would work every year :-) I'm like you. I have my post grad degrees, worked at them, and was unhappy (all caps there on the unhappy). I'm looking forward to all that you learn about this year. I hope you'll share it with us. Happy journey!

Marie Cramp said...

J'aimerais voir Toulouse un jour. I have always wanted to go to France, my roots start there. My husband was a missionary there and got to see Toulouse, that would be so nice.
I hope you learn about your wall, and tell us about it :)

Bonne semaine!

Marie

Dawn Doucette said...

Sue, I love your theme of Learing for the year. I think we are always learning... if we're not, the alternatives aren't pretty. As you begin and continue on the journey enjoy everyday! It's a gift and I think you have a gift for seeing the beauty in that.

I found your blog via Art Beads blog. I'm looking forward to seeing your special creations in 2010! Blessings to you and yours!

stregata said...

Learning is a good word. I am looking forward to seeing what you learn. (Human resources sounds like it is about people, doesn't it?)

Leslie @ Bei Mondi said...

What a great word! Life is boring when you're not learning. We should never stop. I'd love to look into PMC classes with you. Sounds like a fun adventure.

Azure Islands Designs said...

A great word that will take you on a wonderful journey...

I think many of us readers can see ourselves in your post...I know I can.

I look forward to what you share...

Cheers

Katie said...

I, too, am still working on figuring out what I want to be when I grow up. I didn't go so far as to get advanced degrees because I didn't know what I'd want to get them in :o)

But, I am always learning - either through reading, traveling, or learning new crafty things...This year should be the year where I continue to work on my polymer clay and PMC skills...Especially since I just got a kiln and some PMC3 and CoprClay to work with :o)

I can't wait to see where your learning takes you!

Art Bead Scene Ornament Hop!

Better late than never! I participate every year and didn't want to miss it this year - the Art Bead Scene Ornament Hop!  I'm also...