Skip to main content

L E A R N I N G

L E A R N I N G - My word for the year - thanks to Erin of Treasures Found for prompting us to look for a word that's going to urge us on this year! I chose learning for many reasons. I don't know if you all know, I have a Master's Degree in Human Resources Management. I quickly found out that I do not do well in the corporate world. Politics and competition are not my style; I found I just could not be healthy in that environment. That's ok, too - I'm glad I found it out. I did have a Ph.D. I worked for tell me that I would never be truly happy unless I got a Ph.D. myself - I believe that to be true. However, at this point, that's never going to happen! Not only do I not have any desire at this point to start school all over again, I can't begin to figure out what I want to do when I grow up!

Hence, learning. I have many things I want to learn about - Shinto, Hadrian's Wall, Constellations. But also things like, what type of person am I, how can I be a better partner, mother, family member and friend? How can I get off my behind and get all the beady ideas I have in my head into something productive? And there's several of those - I always seem to be behind the eight ball with my ideas - I make something and then I see someone already selling it!

I'll share some of my findings this year with you! I think I'll start with something easy, like investigating Hadrian's Wall. Also, I know I want to take a PMC class. I'm hoping to go to Toulouse this winter with the engineer, and I'll try and learn all about that all over again (I was in Toulouse for a summer at the Dickinson College Study Center).

Comments

SummersStudio said…
Sue, learning is such a great word for the year. In fact, I think that one would work every year :-) I'm like you. I have my post grad degrees, worked at them, and was unhappy (all caps there on the unhappy). I'm looking forward to all that you learn about this year. I hope you'll share it with us. Happy journey!
Marie Cramp said…
J'aimerais voir Toulouse un jour. I have always wanted to go to France, my roots start there. My husband was a missionary there and got to see Toulouse, that would be so nice.
I hope you learn about your wall, and tell us about it :)

Bonne semaine!

Marie
Dawn Doucette said…
Sue, I love your theme of Learing for the year. I think we are always learning... if we're not, the alternatives aren't pretty. As you begin and continue on the journey enjoy everyday! It's a gift and I think you have a gift for seeing the beauty in that.

I found your blog via Art Beads blog. I'm looking forward to seeing your special creations in 2010! Blessings to you and yours!
stregata said…
Learning is a good word. I am looking forward to seeing what you learn. (Human resources sounds like it is about people, doesn't it?)
What a great word! Life is boring when you're not learning. We should never stop. I'd love to look into PMC classes with you. Sounds like a fun adventure.
A great word that will take you on a wonderful journey...

I think many of us readers can see ourselves in your post...I know I can.

I look forward to what you share...

Cheers
Katie said…
I, too, am still working on figuring out what I want to be when I grow up. I didn't go so far as to get advanced degrees because I didn't know what I'd want to get them in :o)

But, I am always learning - either through reading, traveling, or learning new crafty things...This year should be the year where I continue to work on my polymer clay and PMC skills...Especially since I just got a kiln and some PMC3 and CoprClay to work with :o)

I can't wait to see where your learning takes you!

Popular posts from this blog

The Tacky Earring Blog Hop

Diana Ptaszynski had a great idea, instead of a Tacky Christmas Sweater blog hop, a Tacky Holiday Earring blog hop! I was on it.  I had ideas right away.  I had so many I had to control myself.  You can buy these for $15 each, too!  Here we go! I found these awesome wreaths in the miniature Christmas section in Michaels, and they go perfectly with silver and copper colored plastic beads! These trees were found in Michaels, on an end-cap - I assume they are scrapbook or card making supplies, but make fantastic earrings.  The holes were a little small and far down, so I had to make LARGE loops.  Paired these with cute little gold colored jingle bells! And, finally, the ones I had in my head the moment she announced the blog hop.  Dr. Seuss sparkly puff balls with ribbons.  The only thing that would have made these better for me is if I could have found the red ribbons I really wanted to pair these with - don't get me wrong, the silver is cool and all, but in my head they w

Bead Soup Blog Party!

Welcome to the 3rd Bead Soup Blog Party! What is a Bead Soup Blog Party? Each beader was paired up with another jewelry designer and tasked with sending the following: ~ A focal ~ A special clasp (not just a lobster claw) ~ Some coordinating spacers or beads Using the focal and the clasp was mandatory, but we could use anything from our own stash to round out the rest, and choose to use the coordinating beads or not. You may recall my partner was Margot Potter ; click this link to see the blog post I wrote of what she sent me! Here's what I made! Dangly earrings! Come see what the rest of us made! 1. Lori Anderson, Pretty Things 2. Kitty Durmaj, Perles and Life 3. Michelle Heim, Life In the Bead Lane 4. Lisa Petrillo, Lucid Moon Studio 5. Anitra Gordy, Leelu Creations 6. Paige Maxim, Paige Maxim Designs 7. Marianna Boylan, Pretty Shiny Things 8. Cheryl Roe, BeadRoe 9. Heidi Post, Ex Post Facto 10. Cindy Wimmer, Sweet Bead Studio 11. Terri Gauthier, Blooming Ideas 12.