Skip to main content

New Work

Yesterday, after I made my bead orders, I played a little bit!  That's always fun, I'm looking to expand my horizons as far as bead making goes, so hopefully I'll be doing that! 

One thing I did was use that piece of brass wire I had sitting down there.  I wanted to see how a headpin would look with it after it anneals in the kiln.  Didn't change the color at all, which is great!  This is too thick of a gauge, I think, so I'll be trying 22 instead of 20.  What do you think - is 20 too thick for a headpin?

I made a big hole heart bead - this was tough.  It took a long time, kept cracking, and it's really rough.  But I think it's a cool idea, probably for a toggle.  It would need to the the focal, though, because it's large!

I did some cabs too.  One broke - wah!  But I love this one.  I made more today.  Cabs are fun, because you can play after you shape the cab.  This one will be making it into the store later, with the other ones I made today!

See you tomorrow for my third week of 52 photos!

Comments

I would offer 20 and 22 g headpins. I sell lots of both gauges (balled--not lampwork) and I can see you getting requests for both. :)

*lovely work!*
AliMc said…
Love the large hole heart and can imagine it was a real pain to get completed. I make headpins in 18 gauge regularly because it holds lampwork and other larger holed beads well so in my very humble opinion I think 20g is fine.
CraftyHope said…
I really love that headpin you created. As far as the size of it, 20 would be fine for some headpins, but I know I wouldn't want more than just a few. A smaller size would be preferable, but an assortment never hurts!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Accident!

Months ago, I took a class at ArtBliss given by Barbara Lewis of Painting with Fire. It involved learning how to make torch-fired enamel beads. I loved it - as you may be able to guess. Barbara did teach us how to fuse items into a flat pendant, but we didn't spend a lot of time on that process, as the day seemed to go so fast! I was making enameled pieces the other night, and due to my own ineptness (remember the big toe burn???) I was able to fuse these two pieces together totally by accident. Now of course, it isn't a usable piece. However, now that I know how to do it, I can see some pieces like this in my future! I can't wait to get more copper cutouts!

Art Elements February Theme Challenge - Birds of Prey

Cathy Mendola chose Birds of Prey for the theme this month, and it's a pretty awesome theme. You are going to see some amazing work by my team members and the guests who have participated this month! I had plans of doing more than I did, as indicated by the purchases I made for the projects I had in my head. However, I have been doing some work in my house, so whenever time permitted, meaning after work and weekend hours, we were pretty much doing the room renovations. One of them is going to be my study/studio, and I seem to be foiled at every move by trying to get some work tables. So I have only one small project to show you this month.  But first, the purchases!

This first Bali carved owl totem I got from fifirosedesigns on etsy - I wanted to make a mold and make my own cabochon to use in a necklace. However, I really did get around to doing that. So, I purchased the owl heads below.

These owl head cabochons are from ArtisticVariations84 on etsy - they are just fantastic, but …

January Art Elements Theme Challenge - Moon

Lindsay Starr chose moon as the theme for the AE Design Challenge this month! Great choice, Lindsay! I knew I had a pendant from Vincent and Nooma from Inviciti that I wanted to use, and I have some moon face polymer clay cabochons I had made a while ago, so I was all set!

First, I used the pendant to create a simple necklace. I haven't strung beads in a very long time, and being that I enjoy simple designs for myself, I set out to find the perfect red beads. I chose faceted red jade from Golden Age Beads.  I also spied some other beads I really want, but am basically on a buying freeze so....maybe another time! I separated the red jade beads with some cute titanium spacers I had picked up at a bead show a long time ago, and I highlighted the pendant with some gold alcohol ink to make the moon show up better!



The second piece I made was influenced by Game of Thrones. Late to the party as ever, I just started watching it. I'm on Season 3 Finale - I use it as a carrot to make my…