Thursday, March 31, 2016

AJE Component of the Month - EYE Theme - with Lindsay Starr

As another month rolls around, so does the AJE Component of the Month challenge - this month was a theme challenge and Lindsay Starr is our host - theme is EYE. 

I hope you go back and read Lindsay's original post, as it is very interesting.  I won't rehash what she already elegantly explained about the symbology of the eye.  I'll just get on with my post!  Incidentally, Michael's happened to have TONS of eye-themed components this month!  Lindsay must be right on trend!  Here are some photos I took!






I also wanted to show you the little tiny evil eye charm I picked up in Greece about 10 years ago - I was going to use it in this project, but just couldn't bring myself to use it up!  Then I wouldn't really be able to hold it and fondle it lol! I also meant to make some lampwork evil eyes, and may still, but didn't really get the chance to do that!


For my project, Kristie Roeder, a ceramist, was offering some great evil eye cabochons in the Ceramic Art Bead Market group on Facebook.  I failed to win the auction, but she made me one to order!  Here is her photo, because as usual I forgot to take one!

I'm not finished with my design, because for some reason March is shorter than usual (not really, I just lost a week somewhere!).  But here's where I am!


My plan is to make a strap to turn this into a necklace!  I was pleased at how my first-ever foray into fringe turned out - it's harder to do than it looks!  Also, I have to apologize for these last two photos since I took them at 10pm in the evening with horrible light!  I hope you enjoyed my creation, and I do hope you re-read Lindsay's original post - it's really quite enlEYEtening!  Thanks for stopping by!  Please see what everyone else made!

Guests - 

AJE Members - 

8 comments:

Lesley said...

Lovely design Sue - really sets of Kristy's beautiful cab.

Jenny said...

AWESOME. Kirstie's eye cabs were exactly right and I love what you have done. Your fringe accentuates and doesn't overpower.

LYILHA said...

Wow! I find it VERY interesting that eyes are so "in" right now!!! I saw those cabs while she was selling them too! I love how you treated the cab as the primary focus of the pendant - I look forward to seeing it finished!

Caroline said...

That's looking fabulous so far, I love Kristie's ceramic pieces!

Alison Herrington said...

I love it! You matched the beautiful colors in the pendant perfectly. Your fringe is amazing, I need to try that!

Tammy Adams said...

The frame you created for the focal is amazing. I tried making beaded fringe once. I couldn't get the dangles to hang straight. Yours looks perfect. Very nicely done.

Lindsay said...

Yay Sue! I love what you've got so far! I didn't get a chance to start anything with the eye I snagged from Kristie, so I'm glad to see you did! It's so graphic - sure to keep the evil eye at bay!

Niky Sayers said...

Lovely Sue, the colours are great and the fringe really finishes the piece off well!