Skip to main content

AJE Component of the Month - Melissa Meman

It's already time for another Component of the Month and this month, it was Melissa Meman's turn!  She sent us all copper enameled hearts, with various hole configurations.  This is the heart she sent me:

 I made a little wire-wrapped bail of antiqued copper wire (20 gauge) and a little dangle with a rose colored copper balled end headpin that I made - to get the rose color, you dip the headpin in water quickly after you ball it in your torch!
 I wanted to pull the colors in the frit (glass bits) on the heart so I searched my stash and found these wonderful faceted beads in the perfect colors!  I wire wrapped them all with copper wire I antiqued in liver of sulpher, and added small antiqued copper daisy beads as well.
 I needed a little green accent as well, and was happy I had these little rondelles. 
 The clasp was one I purchased at the same time I purchased the one for Rebekah's CoM!  Glad I got an extra one - didn't have enough time to think about fashioning one myself! 
I hope you like what I made!  Please visit the Art Jewelry Elements blog to see what everyone else made with their hearts!  And thanks Melissa!

Comments

Kathy Lindemer said…
Sue-I love what you did with the heart. Great necklace!
Melissa Meman said…
Yummy necklace, Sue! I love it...those colors you picked are perfect with the pendant! Thanks so much for playing!
Kristen said…
I love all the color pop in this piece! Amazing as always!
What a fun, fun, fun color combination Sue! Such a happy little necklace - love it!
Ann Schroeder said…
I love this necklace. The colors on the component you got are so vibrant. You brought them out beautifully.
Jennifer said…
Its candy! Eye candy! And Mardi Gras, and a color celebration. Very pretty!
lunedreams said…
Gorgeous Sue! I love the big bold beads with the heart.
Wonderful colours and a gorgeous design... love it!
Wonderful colours and a gorgeous design... love it!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Accident!

Months ago, I took a class at ArtBliss given by Barbara Lewis of Painting with Fire. It involved learning how to make torch-fired enamel beads. I loved it - as you may be able to guess. Barbara did teach us how to fuse items into a flat pendant, but we didn't spend a lot of time on that process, as the day seemed to go so fast! I was making enameled pieces the other night, and due to my own ineptness (remember the big toe burn???) I was able to fuse these two pieces together totally by accident. Now of course, it isn't a usable piece. However, now that I know how to do it, I can see some pieces like this in my future! I can't wait to get more copper cutouts!

Art Elements Theme of the Month - Seed Pods

The theme for July was seed pods, chosen by Jen. I made a Pinterest board for seed pods - I seem to be using Pinterest a little bit more lately, although it's such a time suck! Not sure how to get the image to appear, though, so you'll have to follow the link I guess!

https://www.pinterest.com/suebeads/seed-pods/

I have made many headpins that look like seed pods, and wanted to make more, but just didn't have time to do it in glass.  Here are some photos of ones I have made in the past.

I really really wanted to get some done, but I didn't get to. What I did get to do was experiment a bit in polymer clay.  These beads were made using the "salt method". You roll the polymer in salt (not the super fine salt but a little bit bigger grain) and then bake it. When they are done baking, you rinse them off and the salt melts, and you get this impression in the clay that makes them look like seed pods! The top bead is just a pretty orange/ochre color that I highlighted…

Art Elements Theme Challenge - August - Swirls

This month Marsha Neal chose swirls as the theme of the month! I'm enjoying the challenges as themes. I've been giving my wrist a break because of perceived carpal tunnel, so I've been doing a lot in polymer, and by a lot, I mean when I have a few half hours of time!

Here are the swirl themed polymer items I made for this month!

This first one reminds me of a fiddlehead fern, all closed up. I painted it with alcohol inks.

This next one is the before of the ammonite hearts I did. Two of my favorite things, ammonites and hearts! Colored with alcohol inks.

 I made two, the colors turned out very different!
More spirals in the form of polymer clay ammonite cabochons. I really love mixing the paints to color these! Plus you get a gratuitous flower shot!
 More ammonites colored with ranger patina inks and alcohol inks in that order.
 My fave, I think - I love the colors! Alcohol inks.
This next one was made with acrylic paint and I tried crackle on it, didn't work out too w…