Skip to main content

Blue Bracelet Blog Hop! November 25th

One of my donations to 7,000 Bracelets of Hope



Are you familiar with the 7,000 Bracelets for Hope campaign?  Many of us bead makers and jewelry designers are.  It's a bracelet program for people or families who suffer rare genetic diseases.  Here's a bit of information directly from their donation page:


"Cause bracelets have been available for breast cancer and heart disease but there has never been a unifying symbol, color or bracelet that represents the rare and genetic disease community.  That’s why we started the 7,000 Bracelets for Hope™ campaign.
Since launching the campaign in 2010, Global Genes has received thousands of unique blue themed bracelet designs made from everything from cut strips of recycled denim to vintage blue glass to turquoise stones. The creativity from our volunteers is truly inspiring!
The number 7,000 represents the 7,000 different rare diseases that impact 1 in 10 people, 30 million Americans and 350 million globally.  Each individual blue bracelet design we receive represents the uniqueness of one of the 7,000 rare diseases and many of our volunteers send in multiple copies of a single design.
Our goal is to continue to collect unique bracelets made by jewelry designers, artists, crafters, church groups, girl scout troops and other volunteers and distribute them to our families fighting rare and genetic diseases. Adults receive handcrafted bracelets made by our jewelry designers while children receive love friendship bracelets filled with hope."

I was just contacted by Lisa James (Manager of Community Development for Global Genes/Rare) and asked if I would host a blog hop, as they are in need of at least 40 bracelets right now!  I said YES!  While I'd love to get more than 40 participants, or 40 bracelets, let's just do our best to get close to that number!

Here are the details:

1.  Sign up here on this blog post, until October 31.  Why that date?  I don't know...it's just a random date.  I'd like to be able to eventually publish a list of participants but I'll take participants for the whole entire time!

2.  Go to their donation page so you can sign up, and get the address to send the bracelets too, and instructions!  The bracelet should be blue, and the clasp should be somewhat adjustable as you don't know the wrist size of the person receiving your bracelet.

3.  Make a blue bracelet, and on November 25th we'll have a blog hop and reveal the braclets we made!  Oh, and you CAN make more than one!  My friend Patti Vanderbloemen recently donated 75 bracelets to the annual Global Genes Gala in LA!  Talk about dedication!

So simple!  If you have any questions please ask me.  If I can't direct you to the answer, I will direct you to Lisa James.   

Comments

I received a GGP blue bracelet!!

The program has asked me to come forward as someone with a rare genetic disease to share about what it is like trying to get a diagnosis and medical care for an "orphan disease" -- a classification of most rare genetic diseases -- "Orphan" because no pharmaceutical company will "pick up" and then put money into research because rare diseases are rare, and thus not profitable.

I have Crohns and Vernuil's -- Crohns is bad and genetic also, yes, but it is the Vernuil's Disease, considered a secondary disease (meaning related somehow)to Crohns, that is the horrible, embarrassing, extremely morbid, painful, and disabling disease. Sadly, two of my three children have Vernuil's too.

Global Genes project asked that I speak out in order to bring dignity -- instead of shame -- to the others who suffer with Vernuil's. I was very afraid too be a part of the program at first -- getting a bracelet meant committing myself to letting go of the shame and sharing. Although I often educate medical students, going public in my community online is far more exposing. My daughters encouraged me to receive a bracelet and give the required work of speaking out that those with bracelets are asked to do by the program. Sadly, my eldest, with the furthest stage of Vernuil's -- stage4 -- passed away this summer before seeing the bracelet. And since those with rare diseases like Vernuil's often lose their lives yet the disease goes undocumented as cause of death -- another problem of "rare disease" -- I'm speaking out for her too.

I can not begin to express my appreciation to you for organizing this blog hop! I'm in! I'd love to *make* a bracelet.

Gracias,
Rita
Holly said…
Hi Sue, please do include me in this worthy cause! I've done this a few times, and always love to contribute how I can!
Klassy Joolz said…
I would love to participate and just signed up on the donation page as well. I have a "Special Needs" Grandson so this progam is so wonderful!!! He always wants me to make him jewelry when he visits me.

Sue, I would be happy to take part. I have finally put together lots of blue goodies and need a push to get started, I guess! Count me in.
Rebecca said…
Sign me up baby! And thanks for taking captcha off. I hates it!
Count me in! This is such an awesome cause! Thank you, Sue! Off to your store now for some blue beads!! :)
Cassi said…
I'd love to participate!
Amy F said…
I'm in! Sounds like fun
Rachel said…
I'm in! I am actually looking to start a bracelet-making bonanza at the high school where I teach, as part of a community service project, so the timing is perfect!
MirandAck said…
I am definitely in for this one!
http://mirandack.com
jessememan said…
I'm in Sue! I got an email from Lisa as well, and was definitely going to send her a couple pieces, but will jump on your wagon!
Kari Asbury said…
I missed the hop last time around but sent a bracelet anyway. So I'm definately in this time! I will very likely do more than one as well...such a great way to help a very wonderful group!
I commented earlier but I just wanted to chime in and thank Rita for helping to put a "face" on this fantastic cause. As a mother of four, I cannot imagine the pain of losing a child, while simultaneously dealing with the indignity of being told their disease is "too rare to research". I fervently hope that with enough attention focused through online communities, and the brave efforts of spokespersons like Rita, society will be able to take the steps necessary to fund the research these "rare" diseases require.
kristibasket said…
I am in too!! Signing up now!
Oh boy, I had decided I'd make seven for the end of the year, but it sounds like the need is now.. Count me in and I'll get moving on it! I'm sure I can have at least some ready for then. Thanks for the push!
Leanne said…
I'm in... Sounds like such a great cause!
Unknown said…
I'm in! Sadly I know all too many people that suffer from rare genetic diseases. Awesome idea!
becca said…
I would like to participate, too. Please sign me up!
adlinah said…
Just wanted to check if this is open to international beaders. I'd love to participate.
Whimsy said…
Count me in. Great cause, great jewlery and great fun. Thanks for hosting.
Kari Asbury said…
I signed up yesterday but didn't have time at the time to read Rita's story.

Thank you so much for sharing and putting yourself out there. My sympathies go to you on the loss of your daughter and so much heartache with rare disease in your family.

It's so wonderful that you will be able to participate in the hop and in creating a beautiful bracelet to share.
Chelle said…
I am so in on this..
Unknown said…
Sue, I came over to sign up, because it's the right thing to do. Then I read Rita's post and cried. Please count me in, for all the courageous folks who go through so much, I'm so proud to give a little back.
Unknown said…
Sue,
Although I am on a strict "NO bloghop-challenges-swap diet", I HAVE to get involved in this one!

Thanks for hosting a hop for such an important cause.
Cheri said…
Please add me to the list, I will make more than one.
I'm in if there is still room! If not, I'll just simply donate. :^)
Blue is the color I gravitate toward when making prototypes - I have lots of blue bracelets!! Yay!!
Unknown said…
I want to join in too. Have been wanting to go join on their page so will do so now. This is the push I needed! Thanks.
Katherine
Niky Sayers said…
please count me in to this fantastic cause x
diane hawkey said…
I would love to particapate
LisaS said…
I'd like to participate! ...please sign me up ;)
LisaS said…
Hi Again, - Should we send the bracelets out ahead? -If complete before the reveal date of Nov 25th...?
Anindita Basu said…
Hi,

Is it too late, today? I had done this in the past and would love to join this year too. Blue Bracelet I'll do.

Please drop me a comment in my blog. Thank you, Sue. Thank you for doing this. Dita.

http://www.alankarshilpa.blogspot.com
Kim said…
If it's not too late I would like to join.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tacky Earring Blog Hop

Diana Ptaszynski had a great idea, instead of a Tacky Christmas Sweater blog hop, a Tacky Holiday Earring blog hop! I was on it.  I had ideas right away.  I had so many I had to control myself.  You can buy these for $15 each, too!  Here we go! I found these awesome wreaths in the miniature Christmas section in Michaels, and they go perfectly with silver and copper colored plastic beads! These trees were found in Michaels, on an end-cap - I assume they are scrapbook or card making supplies, but make fantastic earrings.  The holes were a little small and far down, so I had to make LARGE loops.  Paired these with cute little gold colored jingle bells! And, finally, the ones I had in my head the moment she announced the blog hop.  Dr. Seuss sparkly puff balls with ribbons.  The only thing that would have made these better for me is if I could have found the red ribbons I really wanted to pair these with - don't get me wrong, the silver is cool and all, but in my head they w

Bead Soup Blog Party!

Welcome to the 3rd Bead Soup Blog Party! What is a Bead Soup Blog Party? Each beader was paired up with another jewelry designer and tasked with sending the following: ~ A focal ~ A special clasp (not just a lobster claw) ~ Some coordinating spacers or beads Using the focal and the clasp was mandatory, but we could use anything from our own stash to round out the rest, and choose to use the coordinating beads or not. You may recall my partner was Margot Potter ; click this link to see the blog post I wrote of what she sent me! Here's what I made! Dangly earrings! Come see what the rest of us made! 1. Lori Anderson, Pretty Things 2. Kitty Durmaj, Perles and Life 3. Michelle Heim, Life In the Bead Lane 4. Lisa Petrillo, Lucid Moon Studio 5. Anitra Gordy, Leelu Creations 6. Paige Maxim, Paige Maxim Designs 7. Marianna Boylan, Pretty Shiny Things 8. Cheryl Roe, BeadRoe 9. Heidi Post, Ex Post Facto 10. Cindy Wimmer, Sweet Bead Studio 11. Terri Gauthier, Blooming Ideas 12.