Monday, August 31, 2009

To Etch or Not To Etch?


Regarde, before thee, a photo of two beads. To etch or not to etch, that is the question. I really like the organic quality of the etched bead (the second one), but I also really like the colors that you can see with the unetched bead (the first one). So, my question to thee - to etch or not to etch?

Two things - 1) I apologize for the quality of the photo. While I can somewhat take pictures now, it doesn't mean I can process them. I guess I need to take Photography for Dummies. 2) I am not asking whether you like the actual beads; I realize that question would be one of taste. I am just asking which one you prefer!!!

Thank you!

Edited to add: to see the beads better, you may have to click on the photo to make it bigger. This is my fault - the photo is ok, but like I said, the processing leaves something to be desired! It is hard to see the difference, but the first one is shinier than the second!

14 comments:

The Preserve Jewelry Studio said...

I regret to mention that I can't see the difference in the photo. I am sure there is a difference, but it is not obvious to the untrained eye.

Marie Cramp said...

I love them both. I would do some of each. The sparkle in the first is really lovely and the earthiness of the second is rustic and fun. BTW I love the colours too ;) They are really great beads. I hate not having any money, I swear I must have had half those rainbow sets in my cart. lol. next time I hope.

Marie

Lorelei said...

Hey Sue!
These are beautiful!
I like the etched bead better!

Kobey said...

These beads are gorgeous! My first choice would be etched as I generally like a matt finish with autumn colors (and a glossy with wintery icy blues). I definitely need a pair of these.

SummersStudio said...

Sue, I love both of these for their very autumn colours. I have a slight, very slight, preference for the etched one. It has a subtleness that is very appealing to me.

Marbella Designs said...

they are both beautiful and each would work for a specific look. i personally like the finish of the etched bead.

Cindy said...

Very nice beads...the colors are fantastic for Fall! I like them either way..but would agree that I'd have a preference for the etched too.
Cindy
www.sweetbeadstudio.com

Katie said...

I love the etched bead - it looks more organic and like it's some beautiful rock formation that youcaptured in the bead.

stregata said...

First - the colours on these beads are just lovely and they remind me of terrazzo. Although I generally prefer etched beads (I just love the matte surface), I think this bead is gorgeous in glossy.

For The Love of Beads said...

I prefer the etched one, brings out the colours better in my opinion. Very nice, earthy looking beads either way tho =D

Emi

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Etch, definitely etch. But I'm a shoo-in for the matte look. I love them both, don't get me wrong. But I always favor the etched ones.

Beauties!

Gardanne said...

I vote to etch.

Laura said...

Etched. Normally I'm a glossy bead kinda gal, but those are candidiates for the acid bath!

Great beads. :o)

Silver Parrot said...

I like the non-etched version best. The colors are so muted anyway - I like the "kick" provided by the shine of the un-etched glass. They are beautiful either way, though.