Skip to main content

Art Elements April Theme - Horses

Sorry it's been so long, I can't believe it's been 2 months since I posted! This month, the AE Theme Challenge is Horses, and I'm glad I had a little time to participate. I didn't get to make anything last month because my boyfriend had a total hip replacement - he's on the mend and doing great.

First, I made a pair of earrings for a friend's birthday. If she reads this, she will know it's her! I made them with gorgeous charms from Foxpaws Beads - I follow Jill on Instagram and went rooting around her store one day and found these delicious clay charms. She really does amazing work and getting her package is like opening a present!


Next, I made a beaded necklace using a great polymer clay cabochon by JoAnn St. James of Studio St. James. She makes awesome polymer beads and cabochons. I was attracted to this cabochon because it depicted a prehistoric drawing in the Caves of Lascaux in France. I actually went there when I was 20 - I spent a summer studying in Toulouse and this was one of our side trips.  Being a complete moron who never had a camera before this trip, I ruined my first roll of film and the photos of the drawings were on that roll.  You can no longer take photos in the caves so I'm extra sad.

 As you can see, the necklace is not finished. I ran out of the size 8 seed beads I am using for the spiral rope, so I have to wait until they arrive.
 I am using jump rings to attach the rope to the pendant, in case I ever change my mind and want to change the strap.
I'm glad I was able to complete something for the challenge this time! I hope you visit with everyone else and see what they made!


 Guests:


AE Team Members:

Lesley 

Comments

Jill said…
Love the necklace and earrings, I'm in awe of your beadwork
Anonymous said…
The charms are adorable, and love how your earrings use them. Beautiful beadwork on the pendant and chain too!
Laney said…
I love your beaded pendant necklaces. I can say that because I have one, not that it is a horse but my cat is still fabulous. You have a very delicate hand with your pieces. Beautiful.
I am glad you got to participate this month too Sue! Love the beads you've got (sorry about the role of film - ouch!). The earrings are just perfectly simple and wonderful to wear. And the bead embroidered piece is cool too (come on mail - bring the rest of the beads!). :)
Niky Sayers said…
Your earrings are really cute Sue and that necklace is going to be a show stopper, I love how you have captured it in the seed beads!
Saraccino said…
The earrings are really lovely! And I love your bead work and how you made the beaded area around the cabochon fitting to the image. For me this little details make a piece special, that create a perfect balance! :)
That poor roll of film! That hurts :( But the pendant is the next best thing. It's so stunning! And I love the corner detail and the strip of beading on either side. The earrings are darling and your friend will love them!
I also love Foxpaws components. Those horse charms are so adorable-they make great earrings!
But that pendant-WOW! I love that piece and your bezel treatment really showcases it perfectly. Sorry you ran out of beads but that spiral rope will look fantastic when you finish it.
Glad you were able to participate this month.
Caroline said…
Love the components you found, your designs with them are wonderful!
I like both of your inspiration pieces. The beaded cabachon shows off your beading skills as well. Can't wait to see the finished necklace on Ig.
Alysen
Dry Gulch said…
Love the sweet earrings and your spiral rope. Fab!
Love those earrings - I do follow Jill on Instagram and just love all of the things she makes!

I can't wait to see the finished necklace - I am in awe of anyone who can bead weave (I barely was able to make a 1"x1" piece in class one semester - the bead needle and I were not friends.

Love both of your pieces!
Jenny said…
Love. Love. Love. I really like the little strands that go over the pendant corners. And you are the spiral rope queen!
Tammy Adams said…
I thought I left a comment last month - because I know I remember reading your post and loving the jewelry. I must have not clicked the button or some other user error. Anyway, never to late to say: fabulous designs. I love the earrings and your bead work is lovely.

Popular posts from this blog

The Tacky Earring Blog Hop

Diana Ptaszynski had a great idea, instead of a Tacky Christmas Sweater blog hop, a Tacky Holiday Earring blog hop! I was on it.  I had ideas right away.  I had so many I had to control myself.  You can buy these for $15 each, too!  Here we go! I found these awesome wreaths in the miniature Christmas section in Michaels, and they go perfectly with silver and copper colored plastic beads! These trees were found in Michaels, on an end-cap - I assume they are scrapbook or card making supplies, but make fantastic earrings.  The holes were a little small and far down, so I had to make LARGE loops.  Paired these with cute little gold colored jingle bells! And, finally, the ones I had in my head the moment she announced the blog hop.  Dr. Seuss sparkly puff balls with ribbons.  The only thing that would have made these better for me is if I could have found the red ribbons I really wanted to pair these with - don't get me wrong, the silver is cool and all, but in my head they w

Bead Soup Blog Party!

Welcome to the 3rd Bead Soup Blog Party! What is a Bead Soup Blog Party? Each beader was paired up with another jewelry designer and tasked with sending the following: ~ A focal ~ A special clasp (not just a lobster claw) ~ Some coordinating spacers or beads Using the focal and the clasp was mandatory, but we could use anything from our own stash to round out the rest, and choose to use the coordinating beads or not. You may recall my partner was Margot Potter ; click this link to see the blog post I wrote of what she sent me! Here's what I made! Dangly earrings! Come see what the rest of us made! 1. Lori Anderson, Pretty Things 2. Kitty Durmaj, Perles and Life 3. Michelle Heim, Life In the Bead Lane 4. Lisa Petrillo, Lucid Moon Studio 5. Anitra Gordy, Leelu Creations 6. Paige Maxim, Paige Maxim Designs 7. Marianna Boylan, Pretty Shiny Things 8. Cheryl Roe, BeadRoe 9. Heidi Post, Ex Post Facto 10. Cindy Wimmer, Sweet Bead Studio 11. Terri Gauthier, Blooming Ideas 12.