Skip to main content

Art Elements Theme of the Month - Ornaments!

Another month has passed us by, and another challenge will be in the books.  Appropriately, the theme for the Art Elements challenge this month is Ornaments. I had a lot of fun with this one - I had more than a few days I wasn't working this month so making ornaments filled some of my time.

The first ones I want to show you are stitched by me - they were made with some little heart ceramic tiles my daughter found on a job site.  I love finding little treasures on job sites, so I decided these needed to be bezeled and hung on the tree!

I also had these snowflake forms hanging around for years, so I decided to make some with these blown hollow glass beads and czech fire polished beads, along with some seed beads.  They turned out pretty good - I may have gotten a little carried away.  I still have a little pile of hollow beads to make more ornaments with!




I had made some ornaments a few years ago with vintage chandelier parts - they never sold, so I took them apart and made new ones! I really like them, even if no one else does! They can also be used as suncatchers.


And finally, since I've been doing more fusing in my kiln lately than making beads, I made some fused cast glass ornaments that I really love. The first ones are from a tree casting mold.

This one above was made with little tiny bits of stringers, and some dichroic glass thrown in for good measure.
This one was made from a frit mix called Winterberry.  Very festive!

AND, my absolute favorite ornaments this year, were made with a star casting mold.


These are made from solid black glass and dichroic bits, and from clear glass and dichroic bits.  They are very sparkly and fun!

I hope you enjoyed seeing what I made for the Ornament Theme Challenge, and I hope you'll visit everyone else to see what they made!  Very Happy Holidays to you all!



Guest Designers
Art Elements Team



Comments

CraftyHope said…
So many ornaments!! So much gorgeous, Christmas awesome-ness! First off, what kind of job site has amazing little ceramic hearts on it? I think I might have/ have had some of those snowflake forms. Dang...where did I put those things? Of course, what I could do with them would never measure up to these ones you've created. I especially like that second picture of them with the more flat hollow beads and all that blue!! And the chandelier crystals...swoon! You completely blew me away with all you accomplished for this hop. Thank you for sharing it all.
OH wow! You produced a ton of beautiful ornaments. I love the beaded hearts, but the beaded snowflakes are just so wonderful!! The design lends itself to so many possibilities with the different beads/colors/sizes. LOVE them! Ant last but not least are the ones you fused...those stars are so perfect!!! Great job on all of them.
Caroline said…
All so lovely Sue but I do love those blown glass hearts. Merry Christmas!
Saraccino said…
The beaded snowflakes remind me of my childhood, we also made a lot of them (although not with such beautiful beads, rather the cheap toy ones... but they were fun to make... tempted to make them again!). Your collection of ornaments looks wonderful (and I sooooooo love dichronic glass!).
Jenny said…
Wow! You rocked this challenge! I love the pieces you have been fusing. But i am captivated by the heart tiles found on a job site?! And that pop pf red flower in there is perfect. Your first snowflakes are all fun and candy cane like,.... then I kept scrolling. Those hollow beads are gorgeous in those ornaments. Perfect!
Tammy Adams said…
Your ornaments are beadtastic! I love the diversity of colors and shapes in the snowflakes: each one truly is unique. And those fused glass pieces are spectacular.
Laney said…
Love those beaded stars :D
Divya N said…
Love the snowflakes. They look really chic and fun. It would be super cool to wear them later as pendants too
Unknown said…
What a wealth of ornaments! Those snowflakes are SO cute. I've seen the bases for them before, but I never though of how pretty they would use with hollow blown glass. And those frit trees??? Stunning!
Chelle said…
Lots of Christmas here. I love the different types of ornaments you created. The star is my fav. Have a wonderful Christmas.
Denise said…
So many shimmery, sparkly ornaments. I really like the fused glass stars. They have a great shaoe to them. The hollow glass bead stars are very cool. I have some hollow beads and this would be an great idea for them.
bairozan said…
I love the snowflakes, have planned to make some myself for years :) How come no one liked those icicles, they are so pretty! And versatile as they can be used as a sun catcher, too!
Melissa said…
Great collection of ornaments Sue, I really really like those fused glass ones!

Popular posts from this blog

The Tacky Earring Blog Hop

Diana Ptaszynski had a great idea, instead of a Tacky Christmas Sweater blog hop, a Tacky Holiday Earring blog hop! I was on it.  I had ideas right away.  I had so many I had to control myself.  You can buy these for $15 each, too!  Here we go! I found these awesome wreaths in the miniature Christmas section in Michaels, and they go perfectly with silver and copper colored plastic beads! These trees were found in Michaels, on an end-cap - I assume they are scrapbook or card making supplies, but make fantastic earrings.  The holes were a little small and far down, so I had to make LARGE loops.  Paired these with cute little gold colored jingle bells! And, finally, the ones I had in my head the moment she announced the blog hop.  Dr. Seuss sparkly puff balls with ribbons.  The only thing that would have made these better for me is if I could have found the red ribbons I really wanted to pair these with - don't get me wrong, the silver is cool and all, but in my head they w

Bead Soup Blog Party!

Welcome to the 3rd Bead Soup Blog Party! What is a Bead Soup Blog Party? Each beader was paired up with another jewelry designer and tasked with sending the following: ~ A focal ~ A special clasp (not just a lobster claw) ~ Some coordinating spacers or beads Using the focal and the clasp was mandatory, but we could use anything from our own stash to round out the rest, and choose to use the coordinating beads or not. You may recall my partner was Margot Potter ; click this link to see the blog post I wrote of what she sent me! Here's what I made! Dangly earrings! Come see what the rest of us made! 1. Lori Anderson, Pretty Things 2. Kitty Durmaj, Perles and Life 3. Michelle Heim, Life In the Bead Lane 4. Lisa Petrillo, Lucid Moon Studio 5. Anitra Gordy, Leelu Creations 6. Paige Maxim, Paige Maxim Designs 7. Marianna Boylan, Pretty Shiny Things 8. Cheryl Roe, BeadRoe 9. Heidi Post, Ex Post Facto 10. Cindy Wimmer, Sweet Bead Studio 11. Terri Gauthier, Blooming Ideas 12.