Skip to main content

Art Elements December Component of the Month Theme Challenge - Dragons!

It's Niky Sayers turn to host the Art Elements Component of the Month, and this month the theme is Dragons.  It's the December theme, but with the holidays and all, we're having the reveal today!  I got my cabochon from Jenny Davies-Reazor, this awesome dragon!

I wanted to incorporate the dragon scale beads within the design, but I got sick and had issues with my brain doing what I wanted it to do, so I used the dragon scales as the picot edge. I still like it a lot!
Please check out what everyone else made with DRAGONS!



Guests

AJE Team



Comments

Anonymous said…
It's like a little dragon sun. :)
Hope you're feeling better now, Sue.
Kathy Lindemer said…
Well done! Your beading is perfect for the piece.
Niky Sayers said…
I love what you created Sue, the scales on the edge are just perfect and I love how you used the colour from the cab in your seed beads!
Beautiful work Sue! Love how you used your dragon scales
Laney said…
Love the spikes they are so evocative of the scales on the dragon :)
I love your dragon Sue! I like the way you used the dragon scale beads around the outer edge.
Caroline said…
i love the spikes around the edge, I think it turned out beautifully! Hope you're feeling better now!
Jenny said…
Sue - the dragon scales are perfect on the edge! Like the spines on a dragon back.... And you made a rather subtle cab really sing!
Tammy Adams said…
Beautiful work. The colors you chose showcase the cab without overpowering it. And I quite like the way the scale beads fringe around the outside like protective spikes.
Shaiha said…
Those beads are perfect to bring out the color of that cab. I can't wait to see it when you finish.
Ann Schroeder said…
I love how you edged the cab - it really has the dragon scale effect!
Diana P. said…
Love what you did with your Jenny cab! He's like a majestic winter dragon who probably has an amazing hoarde of gold!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Accident!

Months ago, I took a class at ArtBliss given by Barbara Lewis of Painting with Fire. It involved learning how to make torch-fired enamel beads. I loved it - as you may be able to guess. Barbara did teach us how to fuse items into a flat pendant, but we didn't spend a lot of time on that process, as the day seemed to go so fast! I was making enameled pieces the other night, and due to my own ineptness (remember the big toe burn???) I was able to fuse these two pieces together totally by accident. Now of course, it isn't a usable piece. However, now that I know how to do it, I can see some pieces like this in my future! I can't wait to get more copper cutouts!

Art Elements Theme of the Month - Seed Pods

The theme for July was seed pods, chosen by Jen. I made a Pinterest board for seed pods - I seem to be using Pinterest a little bit more lately, although it's such a time suck! Not sure how to get the image to appear, though, so you'll have to follow the link I guess!

https://www.pinterest.com/suebeads/seed-pods/

I have made many headpins that look like seed pods, and wanted to make more, but just didn't have time to do it in glass.  Here are some photos of ones I have made in the past.

I really really wanted to get some done, but I didn't get to. What I did get to do was experiment a bit in polymer clay.  These beads were made using the "salt method". You roll the polymer in salt (not the super fine salt but a little bit bigger grain) and then bake it. When they are done baking, you rinse them off and the salt melts, and you get this impression in the clay that makes them look like seed pods! The top bead is just a pretty orange/ochre color that I highlighted…

Art Elements Theme Challenge - August - Swirls

This month Marsha Neal chose swirls as the theme of the month! I'm enjoying the challenges as themes. I've been giving my wrist a break because of perceived carpal tunnel, so I've been doing a lot in polymer, and by a lot, I mean when I have a few half hours of time!

Here are the swirl themed polymer items I made for this month!

This first one reminds me of a fiddlehead fern, all closed up. I painted it with alcohol inks.

This next one is the before of the ammonite hearts I did. Two of my favorite things, ammonites and hearts! Colored with alcohol inks.

 I made two, the colors turned out very different!
More spirals in the form of polymer clay ammonite cabochons. I really love mixing the paints to color these! Plus you get a gratuitous flower shot!
 More ammonites colored with ranger patina inks and alcohol inks in that order.
 My fave, I think - I love the colors! Alcohol inks.
This next one was made with acrylic paint and I tried crackle on it, didn't work out too w…