Skip to main content

Beading Back in Time Blog Hop

This is the second installment of the yearly Beading Back in Time blog group.  This quarter, the challenge was Early Human - make something that connects to the Early Human time period in the Earth's history.

I was inspired by the Chauvet and Lascaux cave drawings in France but wanted to relate to the United States, so I studied Native American cave drawings.  I searched many web sites and google images and came up with the following cabochons.



These are the ones I am happy with.  Clearly my stringer control needs some work, but I think I did pretty good on these ones.  I did, however, run out of propane in the middle of doing one of the cabochons and it turned into a disaster!

The big blob was supposed to be the sun, but as I was making the cabochon, my propane was running out and totally fried the cab. The animal is supposed to be a caribou or deer or something, but just looks terrible.  I'll be practicing these!

Have fun checking out what everyone else made in the Beading Back in Time group!

Lindsay Starr, Phantasm Creations:http://phantasmcreation.blogspot.com/2015/05/beading-back-in-time-blog-hop-challenge.html
Sherri Stokey, Knot Just Macrame: http://www.knotjustmacrame.com/2015/05/beading-back-in-time-reveal-early-human.html


Comments

Niky Sayers said…
Oh how lovely, the green arrow one is amazing!
Sherri Stokey said…
OK, those are seriously cool. I love that top one.
Great idea! I love working with Cabs!
Jennifer said…
My fav is the figure at the top! I think this is a cool idea! Maybe someday Ill ask you to do a rune cab for me... Your work always makes me come up with new ideas!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Accident!

Months ago, I took a class at ArtBliss given by Barbara Lewis of Painting with Fire. It involved learning how to make torch-fired enamel beads. I loved it - as you may be able to guess. Barbara did teach us how to fuse items into a flat pendant, but we didn't spend a lot of time on that process, as the day seemed to go so fast! I was making enameled pieces the other night, and due to my own ineptness (remember the big toe burn???) I was able to fuse these two pieces together totally by accident. Now of course, it isn't a usable piece. However, now that I know how to do it, I can see some pieces like this in my future! I can't wait to get more copper cutouts!

Art Elements Theme of the Month - Seed Pods

The theme for July was seed pods, chosen by Jen. I made a Pinterest board for seed pods - I seem to be using Pinterest a little bit more lately, although it's such a time suck! Not sure how to get the image to appear, though, so you'll have to follow the link I guess!

https://www.pinterest.com/suebeads/seed-pods/

I have made many headpins that look like seed pods, and wanted to make more, but just didn't have time to do it in glass.  Here are some photos of ones I have made in the past.

I really really wanted to get some done, but I didn't get to. What I did get to do was experiment a bit in polymer clay.  These beads were made using the "salt method". You roll the polymer in salt (not the super fine salt but a little bit bigger grain) and then bake it. When they are done baking, you rinse them off and the salt melts, and you get this impression in the clay that makes them look like seed pods! The top bead is just a pretty orange/ochre color that I highlighted…

Art Elements Theme Challenge - August - Swirls

This month Marsha Neal chose swirls as the theme of the month! I'm enjoying the challenges as themes. I've been giving my wrist a break because of perceived carpal tunnel, so I've been doing a lot in polymer, and by a lot, I mean when I have a few half hours of time!

Here are the swirl themed polymer items I made for this month!

This first one reminds me of a fiddlehead fern, all closed up. I painted it with alcohol inks.

This next one is the before of the ammonite hearts I did. Two of my favorite things, ammonites and hearts! Colored with alcohol inks.

 I made two, the colors turned out very different!
More spirals in the form of polymer clay ammonite cabochons. I really love mixing the paints to color these! Plus you get a gratuitous flower shot!
 More ammonites colored with ranger patina inks and alcohol inks in that order.
 My fave, I think - I love the colors! Alcohol inks.
This next one was made with acrylic paint and I tried crackle on it, didn't work out too w…