Skip to main content

AJE Component of the Month - Kristen Stevens

It's that time again, hard to believe, it's Component of the Month over at Art Jewelry Elements.  This month, the sweet Kristen Stevens provided beaded beads to everyone to make something gorgeous with.  Here's what I made!

This first pair was made with my own lampwork beads in a constrasting color to the pretty cinnamon colored beaded beads Kristen made.  The ear wires are hand-forged niobium since I'm allergic to just about everything anymore!  Sorry the photos aren't the best, they were taken under artificial light since there's no real light here in Pittsburgh until May...


For this second pair, I made bead caps!  I used some copper sheet that I had fold-formed and patinaed in the flame, then punched and dapped, sanded, and punched holes in (lots of steps!) along with some copper heishe and titanium hematite I picked up at Bead Fest.  It's hard for you to see the pretty colors and texture on the bead caps, but they do look nice!  The ear wires are sterling.  
Please hop on over to Art Jewelry Elements to see what everyone else made with Kristen's beaded beads!

Comments

Kristen said…
Sue you honor me!!! Thank you so much!
Shirley Moore said…
Love that first pair, the contrast in colors is so very pretty! And the second pair reminded me of whoopie pies, with seed bead goodness sandwiched in the middle! Great job Sue!
Lesley said…
Both pairs are lovely Sue - the blue are cool and sophisticated but I really like the slightly vintage feel of the green pair.
Melissa Meman said…
Love them both, Ms. Sue!
They're both gorgeous! I love how they fit for each style, they look so different!
lunedreams said…
Love both pair! I especially love the second pair, the effect with the two caps is great!
Alice said…
You own lampwork beads go so well with the beaded beads. And I like your handmade caps on the second pair! Very pretty!
Great job on both...I really like the green ones!!!!!!
Ann Schroeder said…
Both pairs lovely! This is a great hop. It's hard to go wrong with beaded beads. Love them!
Kristi Bowman said…
I really love the first pair! The cinnamon bead with your beautiful lampwork bead is a gorgeous pairing. Love the second pair too!!
Jennifer said…
As always - Sue - you have made lovely earrings! The first pair is my fav!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Accident!

Months ago, I took a class at ArtBliss given by Barbara Lewis of Painting with Fire. It involved learning how to make torch-fired enamel beads. I loved it - as you may be able to guess. Barbara did teach us how to fuse items into a flat pendant, but we didn't spend a lot of time on that process, as the day seemed to go so fast! I was making enameled pieces the other night, and due to my own ineptness (remember the big toe burn???) I was able to fuse these two pieces together totally by accident. Now of course, it isn't a usable piece. However, now that I know how to do it, I can see some pieces like this in my future! I can't wait to get more copper cutouts!

Art Elements Theme of the Month - Seed Pods

The theme for July was seed pods, chosen by Jen. I made a Pinterest board for seed pods - I seem to be using Pinterest a little bit more lately, although it's such a time suck! Not sure how to get the image to appear, though, so you'll have to follow the link I guess!

https://www.pinterest.com/suebeads/seed-pods/

I have made many headpins that look like seed pods, and wanted to make more, but just didn't have time to do it in glass.  Here are some photos of ones I have made in the past.

I really really wanted to get some done, but I didn't get to. What I did get to do was experiment a bit in polymer clay.  These beads were made using the "salt method". You roll the polymer in salt (not the super fine salt but a little bit bigger grain) and then bake it. When they are done baking, you rinse them off and the salt melts, and you get this impression in the clay that makes them look like seed pods! The top bead is just a pretty orange/ochre color that I highlighted…

Art Elements Theme Challenge - August - Swirls

This month Marsha Neal chose swirls as the theme of the month! I'm enjoying the challenges as themes. I've been giving my wrist a break because of perceived carpal tunnel, so I've been doing a lot in polymer, and by a lot, I mean when I have a few half hours of time!

Here are the swirl themed polymer items I made for this month!

This first one reminds me of a fiddlehead fern, all closed up. I painted it with alcohol inks.

This next one is the before of the ammonite hearts I did. Two of my favorite things, ammonites and hearts! Colored with alcohol inks.

 I made two, the colors turned out very different!
More spirals in the form of polymer clay ammonite cabochons. I really love mixing the paints to color these! Plus you get a gratuitous flower shot!
 More ammonites colored with ranger patina inks and alcohol inks in that order.
 My fave, I think - I love the colors! Alcohol inks.
This next one was made with acrylic paint and I tried crackle on it, didn't work out too w…