August just flew by, didn't it? In addition to moving my daughter into a new apartment for college and painting it and generally trying to make it not a slum anymore lol, I took an intensive class at the Glass Center with JC Herrell, took a trip to Scotland with my family, moved Jason's kids into their dorms at IUP and had a Facebook trunk show on Glass Melters Open Market! AND it's time for the August Component of the Month with Diana Ptaszynski.
As usual, I didn't take a photo of the component when I got it, but it was this awesome stoneware coin pendant. My idea didn't some to fruition (I think I say that a lot); I was going to use one of the bails pictured below, that I found at Lima Beads. While they are lovely, the color just didn't go with the focal or my idea.
Fast forward panic - what to do? I really hate gluing bails on pieces of art, but decided in this case if I wanted to get anything done, I would need to go with the flow. So I found one of these bails in my pile-o-stuff and glued it to Diana's gorgeous pendant.
I was initially going to make a multi-strand necklace, but it just didn't work out that way. I think if I redid this, I would use size 6 turquoise beads and size 8 bronze beads, just to get the sizing better. But I do like the necklace!
The colors of seed beads go perfectly! Please check out what everyone else made by visiting the blogs in this list below! Thank you to Diana for providing this months beautiful component! And thanks for stopping by!
Today is the reveal for the Beading Back in Time Group - our time period this quarter was Early Civilization (3500 BC - 500 AD). I had aspirations of getting more done, but being a single parent with lots going on, it just wasn't possible. I did make my version of faux Roman Glass. I originally wanted to also make Cleopatra beads (as shown in the photo below) but just didn't have time.
Photo Credit - Siberian Times, 01 Feb 2013
I still will probably make some, just to see if I can get the same look and texture. But on to the faux Roman Glass!
I decided to choose pale aqua and medium blue for the beads, as these colors seemed pretty prevalent in Roman Glass that I've seen. Treatments with baking soda and tumble etching with silicon carbide made the beads look "ancient" to me.
I like this pale aqua better - for whatever reason, this color took the treatments better and didn't leave a residue of baking soda.
The medium blue ones are still interesting but there are areas where you can still see baking soda residue - if I made these again, I'd probably use less baking soda on them. Please look for a tutorial on Art Jewelry Elements on August 7th to see how I made these beads! Thanks for looking! Please check out everyone else's creations!